High School

King George Dragons win Vancouver City Championship

#7 “AA” Britannia Bruins vs #4 “AA ”King George Dragons

Windermere - The “Friday Night Lights” were bright last night as the Vancouver City Finals(2A/3A) were set to take place at Windermere between the Britannia Bruins and King George Dragons. The “2A/3A” battle featured the top two 2A teams from the regular season. In their regular season match-up, the Dragons edged the Bruins 64-48 in January. The Britannia Bruins defeated Lord Byng 68-59, then Sir Charles Tupper 79-73 in the semi-finals. King George defeated Point Grey 82-36 and then Magee 65-38 to advance to the finals.

The first quarter was a closely contested battle, as both teams traded baskets for the most part. For the Dragons, #6 Seyoung Choi would knock down a pair of triples on his way to eight first quarter points. Britannia’s #0 Josh Kagande was there to answer every call as he finished the quarter with nine points of his own. After 10 minutes, the score was knotted at 16-16.

In the second, the story was much of the same. Both teams traded baskets as neither team could gain ground on the other. In this quarter #13 Mohab Mundadi would go for eight points to lead the Dragons, while #23 Charles Leeson Jr. of the Bruins would chip eight of his own. At the half, it was the Dragons who held the advantage by a score of 32-30 off a nice drive from #13 Mohab Mundadi to take the lead before the buzzer.

The second half was a totally different game. The Dragons would use a 12-0 run to open the game up for the first time behind the continued strong play of #13 Mohab Mundadi who would score 13 points in the quarter, off of a variety different finishes. The first field goal for the Bruins would come half way through the quarter ars #25 Jalen Williams was able to get a bucket to fall. The Dragons 2-3 zone and size was causing major issues for the Bruins in the third and they would be held to just four points in the quarter. Everything seemed to be going King George’s way, as Britannia would block their shot, but the tipped attempt would fall short and right into the hands of #5 Dhol Baboth that he would put back up for an easy two. #6 Seyoung Choi would use a nice crossover to free himself of the defender before rising up for a three pointer towards the end of the quarter. Thanks to their defence, the Dragons had taken a 54-34 lead with only 10 minutes left to play.

Things continued to go the way of the Dragons, as their first bucket of the fourth quarter came from #9 Nikola Guzina who was fouled while shooting a three pointer. A few minutes later, after a Britannia timeout, #10 Lyle Wilson would get a basket for the Bruins, the result coming after an offensive rebound. #2 Royce Lawson would drop in a nice baseline floater for the Bruins, but #17 Boris Obradovic would score seven points in the quarter to secure the win for the Dragons. When the final buzzer sounded, it was the Dragons would raise the Vancouver City Championship Banner to a final score of 73-43.

Congratulations to the King George Dragons and good luck to both teams in the Lower Mainland Championships!